Cooking Without A Kitchen / Survival Cooking- Cooking In An Improvised Situation
(Upon payment, to ensure the download, please click on link to return to website)
How To Cook In an Improvised Situation. This Works For Power Failures As Well As A Natural Disaster.
By Ralph W. Ritchie and Fern J. Ritchie
Here is another book in the New Economy Series designed to extend the capabilities of the individual to SURVIVE, whatever the cause of calamity.
If the electric power fails, or if it even flickers, or a fire, flood, or winds make your kitchen unusable or just plain gone, You are without a kitchen. That’s when you will want to know:
- How to cook on a woodstove, a fireplace, even a camp stove.
- How to make the kind of meals needed for survival.
- How to cook from scratch.
- How to use and reuse all of the heat from your fuel.
- How to combine cooking while keeping warm.
- How To keep food from spoiling
- How to best utilize what water you have.
….and that’s a beginning.
Could it be that bad? Who knows? We should have learned a lesson from New Orleans, or the East Coast Power Blackout. We cannot depend upon government help that comes like molasses in January. We must be able to continue eating, no matter what. It is ON YOUR OWN time, again.
If Mother Nature hurls her best at us, follow the same recipe. It’s called SURVIVAL.
Revised Edition, 2005
ISBN: 0-939656-92-2 $ 24.95
- Introduction: 1. Power Outage. Ventilation. 2. Improvised Situation. First Consideration. Emergency Foods and Water. Prepared versus Scratch Cooking. Survival Defined
- Emergency Foods, Nutrition, and Eating: Nutrition Goals For Emergency Eating. Diets. Pemmican. Corn cakes Basic Requirements. Calories and The Body’s Needs. What Is A Calorie? Foods By Calories Contained. For When You Need Calories Heat Sources. Soup. A Problem With Children. What Kind of Foods? Meats- Rabbits. How much Food? Barter. Basic Food Storage, Per Person, Per Month.
- Survival Cooking Fast Foods- Ready To Go: Always Soup. Assistants. This doesn’t sound like a family kitchen? What Still Works.
- Water: Losing A Water Supply. Storage. Home Canning.
Testing. Purification. Using Iodine For Water Purification. Water Purification Tablets. Distillation. A solar still. Purification of a Well. Collection of Water. Sediment. Storage. Shelf Life. Shelf strength. Water will be more important than food. Check List. Here are the primary uses of water. Secondary uses (water once used ). Third uses for water. Pets. Secondary Water. Keep your eye on survival.
- Dried Foods: Dried Foods? Warning. The Nature of Dried Foods. To Reconstitute. Vacuum Sealer. Heat-Shrink Sealing. Advantages of Drying Foods. Availability of Dried Foods.
- Basic Recipes: Quick Breads. Shortcake. Cake . Muffins . Baking. Dutch oven. Using a wood stove? Variations. White Sauce and Gravy. Soup. Dried Prunes. How Do You Make Soup? Dumplings. How much soup to make? Quick Soup. Split-Pea or Bean Soup. Pasta. Stew. Ethnic Stews. Enhancing a Stew. Chili. Yeast Bread. Basic Bread. Sourdough starter. Working Bread Dough. Seasoning. Substitutes. Pepper. Salt.
- Desserts and Sweets: Regaining Normality. Sweet Rolls, Breakfast rolls. Powdered Sugar. Puddings. Puddings- The New Kind. Pineapple Upside-down cake. Common Desserts. Rice Pudding. Bread Pudding. Dutch Apple Cake. Gelatin. Baked Apples. Dried Eggs.
- Drinks: Options. Coffee. Tea From Available Plants. Growing Edible Native Plants and Weeds. Sun Tea. Cocoa. Substitutes. Coffee Substitutes. Sweeteners. Plants that can substitute. Growing Herbs for Food and Flavor. Processing Plants. Other Uses For Sugar. Edible Ornamental Plants and Trees.
- Food Spoilage and Preservation: Spoilage of Foods. Factors of spoilage. Keeping Food. Food Preservation. Methods. Vacuum Sealing. Canning / Cooking. Fermentation. Make Sour Kraut. The Original, Non-political, Pork Barrel. Spoilage. Pests and Varmints. Contamination. Floods. Throw Out Or Sanitize ? Animals. Day by Day. Refrigeration.
- Stoves For Cooking: Energy Tips, Coping With A Power Shortage In An Energy Hungry Culture. Propane. Outside and Fireplace Cooking. How To Boil Water. Hot Poker. Tea Kettle. Solar Water Heating. Deep Pit Cooking. Home Made Stoves and Ovens. Charcoal. Care and Feeding. An Improvised Kitchen-Living Area. Emergency Tools.
- Basic Cooking Tools: Ovens. Build Your Own Oven. Temperature Regulation. Multiple Uses. Dutch Oven. Fry Pan. Pressure Cookers. The Rest of the Tools. Woodcutting Tools. Safety. In The End.
- Conclusion: Rehearsal Event. Planning. Disaster Preparedness For Country Living, What To Do In Case of Fires, Floods, Earthquakes, Extreme Cold, Winds, Civil disorders, Hazardous Material Spills, Power Failures.
- Disaster Preparedness For Urban and Suburban Living: Emergency Equipment, Disaster Tools, Emergency Food Supply, Barter, Survival In The City. Disaster Preparedness For Schools, Disaster Preparedness For Small Business and Shops. Eating Well Growing Vegetables From Seed- Successfully . Edible Native Plants and Weeds ( 2 volumes). Edible Landscape Plants and Trees. Edible Herbs And The Plants That Add Flavor. First Aid For Disaster Stress Trauma, A Guide and Self-help Manual for The Lay Person Treating Disaster Stress Trauma.
- Last Word: Check List.
- What Have I Done?